2 cups of mixed dried beans (navy, black, great northern, pinto, whatever you have hanging around in your cupboards)
1/2 cup lentils
1 red pepper, seeded and diced
1 green pepper, seeded and diced
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 - 28 oz. can of stewed or diced tomatoes (or 3 large fresh tomatoes, diced)
2 tablespoons oregano
2 teaspoons cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon coarse black pepper or Mrs. Dash
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
4 vegetable bouillon cubes (or 4 teaspoons vegetable broth base)
1/4 pound salt pork (optional for "truly" vegetarian)
water, for soaking and cooking
- Rinse beans and pick over for nasty ones or stones.
- Cover beans with about 5 cups of cold water and soak over night (or at least 6 hrs.) in your 6-quart slow cooker crock.
- Add bouillon cubes, tomatoes, both peppers, onion, garlic, and seasonings -- stir.
- Add cold water to cover ingredients, if needed.
- Cover, cook on low setting for 6-8 hours.
- Halfway through cooking process add lentils and top with more water, if needed.