Requested by Marion T.
Mexican Style, Arroz con Leche
1 Cup long-grain white rice
3 Cups water
1 -- 3” cinnamon stick or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 Tablespoon very fine julienne strips of lime peel or orange rind (optional)
1 Pinch of salt
4 Cups milk (part cream, part skim, part evaporated depending on your degree of richness, fat, and calories.)
1 Cup sugar (up to 1.5 cups for sweeter pudding)
1/3 Cup raisins
1 Teaspoon of vanilla extract
1. Place the rice in a large saucepan with water, cinnamon, lime peel, and salt.
2. Bring to a boil; lower the heat and cook, covered, until most of the water has been absorbed.
3. Beat egg into milk.
4. Stir in the milk & egg mixture and sugar, stirring constantly over low heat until the mixture thickens.
5. Remove from heat and let cool for 20 minutes.
6. Transfer to bowl, platter, or individual dishes and refrigerate.
7. Garnish with grated cinnamon stick, if desired.
Note: This pudding appeared on our salad bar during Mexican Week, but it was not very popular with students. Staff enjoyed it, however.
1 month ago